Saturday, July 19, 2008

Recap of The Dark Knight


Oh my God! I believe that The Dark Knight might have become my new favorite movie. From the first scene, with the Capped Crusader, my attention was captured. The performances by each actor was absolutely phenomenal.

Even with the fact that the movie is 2 1/2 hrs long, it certainly did not feel like it. There was so much going on throughout the entire story, and action packed scenes one right after the other insured that my A.D.D. could not take over.

With all the talk of Heath Ledger receiving an Oscar nomination, and even possibly winning with this performance, I thought that it was rather far fetched. Especially since movies like this one (Ironman, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4, X-Men, etc.) are never put into the same level as Forrest Gump or Silence of the Lambs, which both had received awards for Best Actor. But, the performance that I watched this evening completely blew me away. I had never thought, from the first moment I heard Ledger was going to play The Joker, that he would be able to pull it off. I kept picturing him in his roles in The Patriot and A Knight's Tale (I never saw Brokeback Mountain) and just couldn't see how he would be able to fill the role of the psychologically demented serial killer of The Joker.

Ledger definitely proved me wrong, along with many other critics, I am sure. He fit the role, dare I say, better than Jack Nicholson in the 1989 rendition of Batman, even though I could see certain instances throughout The Dark Knight that would remind me of Jacks performance. The way Ledger carried himself was a sure reminder, but he put his own touch into this deep role. Which, I believe, is the reason he passed away from a drug overdose. In order for an actor to play a role, they must walk in the footsteps of the character, and I think that the shoes of The Joker were a bit much for him. He did leave us with a performance that will never be forgotten and will, no doubt, cement his name into The Batman legend.

There were also some twists that you never see coming and additions to the story that you would think would be saved for another film. But, they fit perfectly into the film. I will not go into any depth, because I don't want to ruin anything.

Overall, I was very impressed with the film and I recommend, to everyone, to go see it as soon as you can....even go back a second time, because I am planning on it. Just make sure that you get there early. Seats are filling up quick and showings are selling out in a blink of an eye.

No comments: